Sunday, January 8, 2012

Quick Christmas Re-cap:

I had planned to get ALL of Christmas posted and up today.  But instead, I got into a great conversation with Cory and since my "motto" for the year is "choose what matters most," I chose that tonight.  I'm also going to choose to go to bed before 11:00 pm, so instead of posting ALL of Christmas, I'm just going to post what mattered most and try to the rest of it next week!  (-:

There were a few precious memories (at least to me as a mother...no one else may even care!) that I don't want to forget:

A few weeks before Christmas, we were sitting in sacrament meeting.  We had sung a Christmas song and whoever was giving the talk mentioned Christ and Christmas in the same sentence. Noah leaned over to me and said:  "Mom, I like coming to church b/c they know that Christmas was really Jesus birthday and not Santa's."  I teared up and still do when I think about his cute little voice saying that.  I'm sure we had mentioned it, but I don't really remember trying to drill that into his head at all.  He really just came up with it on his own.  Of course, we jumped on the opportunity and mentioned it a BUNCH over the next few weeks.

I took each of the kids to the dollar store to buy gifts for their siblings and Dad.  I gave them each $5 in $1 bills.  When I got to the cash register with Noah, his total came to $3 and change.  I told him to give the cashier $4.  He did.  She then gave his change.  He turned to me wide eyed and said: "I gave her 4 pieces of paper and she gave me MONEY!"

(we caught this one on tape):  Christmas morning Noah was jumping up and down excited for Micah to open the gift he had gotten for him.  He was more excited for that than any gift he received.  I LOVED it. Once Micah opened it and was obviously very excited about his giant coloring book, Noah said:  "Don't you just want to hug me?!"  Micah thought it over and said: "Um, no thanks!"

I've always talked about having the kids give away a toy each time they get a new one, but this is the first year we've actually done it.  And I was SO pleased with how well it went.  They played with all their new gifts for a while and then I took each of them aside individually and had them choose things to give away.  I encouraged them to choose something similar to what they had received (for example, Micah got a robot, so I encouraged him to choose something from the "talking toys" bucket.  Sam gave up and old doll for a new one and Noah gave up some old cars for the new ones he got.), but other than that, I completely let them choose.  They each gave up 4 toys total and I was so pleased with how willing they were to do so and that they didn't just pick their least favorite, crappy old toys, but really thought about something that would still be good for someone else.  Definitely keeping that tradition!

Cory spent HOURS on my gift.  He was up until midnight (sometimes later) every night for 3-4 weeks before Christmas making it.  He edited out all our family videos to include just the absolute best clips of each kid (lots of smiling, happy, giggling, dancing, funny faced kiddos) and then slowed them down and put them to music.  He made a different DVD for each kid so I can kinda watch their whole lives (to this point) in just a few minutes.  I LOVE it.  The kids LOVE it.  We have watched it every Sunday since Christmas. It is bringing a wonderful sense of unity and love into our home and I am so grateful for his incredible effort in putting it all together.  Only trouble is, I don't want him to stop.  I want one every year now!  haha

We went to see a incredible light show in La Costa a few nights before Christmas and the boys LOVED it, but Sam was totally scared the whole time.  She just kept her eyes covered.  Really a-typical for her, but it sure was fun cuddling with her (she had her head buried in my arm most the time)

And a few things we'd like to make tradition (writing them here so I dont' forget next year):

  •  7 Mondays before: Christ centered Christmas for FHEs
  • 12 days before Christmas: 12 days of Christmas stories / ornaments from Devin and Melissa
  • 22nd: Watching the dancing Christmas lights in la Costa with hot cocoa; talk about Christ as the light of the world (What think ye of Christmas? book) turn off all lights; add a lanturn; add all lights = letting Christ into our lives.
  • 23rd: Joseph Smith birthday party with Roast, potatoes from a ricer, the missionaries and the Restoration video & testimony meeting.
  • 24th: Artichoke dip for lunch; In & Out for dinner; acting out Luke 2; Reflections of Christ video & testimony meeting; water and magic oats (oats w/ sprinkles) for Rudolf with the cookies for Santa
  • 25th: Picture of kids on stairs in am; Santa's gifts wrapped in Santa paper; Egg casserole and ableskivers for breakfast, bean dip for lunch; Ham and cheesy potatoes for dinner; choosing toys to give to others

No comments:

Post a Comment