Sunday, February 3, 2013

Update: 2/3/13

Note to self: Building a 100% custom home is a LOT more work than you bargain for!

Seriously.  It is so fun, but is also one of the most stressful, high pressure things I've ever done.  I don't think anyone can understand unless they've done it.  I know I sound like I"m whining and I don't want to b/c this is a HUGE blessing and I'm living a dream I've had for YEARS.  I am so very grateful for this opportunity!

But that is just it!  I don' want to mess it up.  It is kinda a one time deal, right?  So even little decisions like where to put outlets suddenly seem HUGE.  I don't want to stare at that outlet for years knowing I had the opportunity to put it somewhere else.....(-:

Mix my perfectionist personality with my frugal background and the fact that I have absolutely no decorating / creative talent and you get a crazy high stress situation!  For the past two weeks, I've spent an average of 6-8 hours / day working on this, trying to get things like we want them in a price range we can afford without sacrificing quality.  Add in kids and trying to meet with a bunch of different contractors (cabinets, painter, electrician, plumber, coutertops, flooring, window coverings, appliances, window wells, HVAC, Stucco, Stone, Trim, Hardware, Lighting, etc) with them in tow and it has been NUTS!

I've designed the floorplan, every closet, the ET Center, all cabinetry, lighting, color schemes etc.  I've learned more about window coverings, insulation, paint, carpet, plumbing fixtures, cabinets, countertops, window wells, appliances and lights than I ever thought possible!

It is a fun ride, but I will be SO happy to move in and be done with all the high pressure decision to just enjoy our new home.

Here are a few pictures (mostly for our sake so we can remember!):

1st Day of roofing:

Roofing is done just in time for the HUGE 3 day snow storm (during which plumbing and electrical did their rough in:


The kid's bath (same bath is also in guest bath):


The Master Bath:


Headed Downstairs:



The Built in Entertainment Center will go here:

The Office:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this full 12.5 foot wall of windows in the upstairs Living:

Covered back Patio:

The Kids in their playroom:

The boys in their bedroom:

The beginning our our 48" high raised bar (yes, that is REALLY high!)
 The girls in their bedroom:
 Nice big pantry:
 Wide Front Entry:
 Laundry Room:
 Left side of HUGE storage room:
 Right side of HUGE storage room:
 Cold Storage (yes, in addition to storage room):
 Guest bedroom:
 And now onto a few more fun things that we've squeezed in over the last few weeks.

We went to Thanksgiving Point to get out of the house during the crazy snow storm.  I"ve LOVED having that pass!




Caught this funny picture of Samantha while they were playing with dinos in the sand / water:



Hannah's Birthday present finally came 3 days after her birthday. (USPS's fault, not the girl who made it.  She shipped it in plenty of time, USPS delivered it 4 days after the "expected" delivery day).  I will post more about her b-day in a separate post eventually.  I'd like to do it a bit more justice than these quick posts do.


 Here is what I got when I said "Make the best princess face you can!"


And when I tried again by saying, "Give me your prettiest smile!"

We made colored spaghetti (and ate it for dinner):



Samantha and I were cuddling before bedtime and she asked if we could take a picture.  So we went downstairs and had Daddy take one.  Sweet.  But I look like I haven't slept in weeks....oh wait, I haven't!


Cory and I went to see Les Miserables (yes, Cory cried):



The kids had a blast playing in the snow after the storm:

Not sure why, but Samantha kept laying down in it face first:



And Cory took Hannah over to see the house with him one day.  She was LOVING not being in her car seat (the house is less than half a block from our rental now, we only drive b/c it is too darn cold to walk!):


3 comments:

  1. I CANNOT wait to see your finished house! I bet it is going to be so amazing! (Just like everything you do). So exciting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsers! It is SO exciting. Can't believe how far it has come so quickly (well the time is racing by for me). Also CAN NOT believe I missed Hannah's bday the 18. Jim came that day to T.O. but what is wrong with me??????? So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a stressfull situation! Your Poor Contractors!!

    Samantha doesn't look to happy in her play room.

    I love Hanna's best princess face. It is definitely the best princess face I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete